Have you ever tried undergoing a skin cleansing and beautification session, and when you started the facial massage stage, you became in another world? A stage of complete relaxation and comfort during which you may sleep deeply. So, you know the magic of facial massage, which we will talk about in this article.
Facial massage is considered a cause of comfort, relaxation, and stress relief, but did you know that it may be the reason for giving you healthy, radiant skin? There are approximately 30 muscles in your face, and massaging them leads to great benefits, starting from improving the appearance of the skin to delaying its aging There are many benefits that we will share with you that are included in this article.
While you can have a professional facial massage done at a health center, you can do a full massage at home to see similar benefits. In fact, you don’t even need any fancy tools because your clean hands can do the job.
But there are some tips worth learning before performing a facial massage. Read on to learn everything you need to know about the different types of facial massages and how to do them, according to dermatologists and cosmeticians.
In this Article
What is Facial Massage?
Facial massage is a therapeutic and cosmetic technique that you can do with a doctor or even on your own. The technique involves stimulating pressure points on the face, neck, and shoulders. You can use lotion, oils, or balm to massage the face with clean hands or with special massage tools.
Facial massage helps you enhance the health of your skin and leads to relaxation of the facial muscles, and thus has a relaxing effect, which helps you appear with radiant skin and feel better, in addition to its benefits in raising your mood and feeling mental comfort and relaxation.
Whether you want to perform a facial massage just to relax or treat a specific condition, there are many techniques you can try, so keep reading for a comprehensive look at some of the benefits of facial massage, how you can do it yourself and when it is best to see a professional.
Facial Massage Benefits
Facial massage offers tremendous benefits when it comes to the freshness of your skin and your overall appearance, in addition to feeling good and providing a little relaxation, which will be reflected in the appearance of your skin as well. Now we will enumerate for you the most important of these benefits:
1. Anti-aging and Wrinkles
One study published in 2002 in the International Journal of Dermatology found that 54% of women reported smooth skin after a facial massage, while 50% noticed skin tightening.
Facial massage helps in lymphatic drainage and increases blood circulation to the skin, which leads to stimulating collagen production and increasing elasticity. This gives the skin a fuller and more youthful appearance. The reason is that massage releases muscle tension in the face and jaw, which improves skin elasticity and provides a tightening and sculpting effect.
Since massage relieves facial muscle tension, it may also help smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while enhancing overall skin firmness, thus delaying skin aging.
The beneficial effects are doubled with the use of anti-aging skin preparations during and after the massage, as the massage helps accelerate the entry of substances into the layers of the skin and thus increases their therapeutic effect.
2. Reduce the Appearance of Acne
Facial massage helps enhance blood circulation in the skin and thus reduces the appearance of acne, while using anti-acne products during the massage to double the benefits.
But you should pay attention when there are inflamed or festering pimples. In this case, you should avoid massaging or touching them for fear of infection and exacerbation of the problem. Instead, be sure to apply topical medicated creams to the affected areas.
3. Skin Freshness
Skin freshness is one of the most important benefits of facial massage, and its results appear immediately after the massage session due to stimulating blood circulation to the skin. Stimulating the facial muscles also helps in tightening the muscles and thus tightening the skin and increasing its freshness and radiance.
You can use serums or moisturizing creams during the session to enhance the results, and you can use this article to choose the products that are suitable for you: 4 Skincare Products that You Need in Your Routine
4. Reducing the Appearance of Scars
If you have facial scars that are in the healing stage, massage may be very helpful. Massaging scar tissue and surrounding areas may help increase blood flow, relieve tension in surrounding tissue, and flatten bumps.
Facial massage also helps relieve symptoms such as pain, itching and soreness. Studies have found that massage therapy was effective in reducing pain and itchy skin while improving the appearance of raised scars resulting from burns.
You can get all of these benefits when you perform facial massage in the right way and regularly to get the results that satisfy you, but there are some things that you should avoid, and we will explain them to you in the next paragraph.
Things to Avoid When Performing a Facial Massage
The word massage suggests that it is a 100% safe procedure, but this is not true. Doing it incorrectly may cause skin damage and allergies. Here are the most important things that you should avoid:
- Avoid pulling the skin around your eyes as this area is particularly sensitive.
- If you have any wouned or irritated skin, including a blister or open sore, do not massage it. Instead, dermatologists recommend applying medicated ointments and creams to the affected area and avoiding touching it.
- Never pull the skin and always use a serum, oil or moisturizing cream to allow a smooth glide over the skin.
- Do not apply excessive pressure to the skin. Pressing too hard on your face will not speed up the results and may cause unwanted sensitivity or bruising.
- Avoid facial massage if you use products that contain strong active ingredients, such as retinoids or chemical exfoliants, as using them with facial massage may cause irritation and sensitivity.
Now that you know the benefits and risks, we will take you with us to learn about the types of facial massage and its tools, and how you can do it at home in simple steps, so follow along with us.
Facial Massage Types
There are many types of facial massage that differ from each other in the technique or tools used. We will mention to you the most common ones:
Swedish massage is a type of massage therapy that is mainly used to get a relaxing session. The therapist targets the muscles with a combination of friction, sliding strokes and kneading. This type uses light and long strokes to relieve muscle tension.
Also known as classical massage, this technique is the most common form of massage therapy in Western countries and is considered a fundamental technique that led to the creation of other types of massage therapy.
This type of massage originated in Japan and includes pressure on certain points on the body called pressure points. You can get this type of massage on the face with the aim of relieving muscle tension and increasing blood flow, thus increasing the freshness of the skin.
This type of massage originated in East Asia. This method involves using a flat crystal tool to massage facial features with specific movements, the aim of which is to improve blood circulation, tighten the skin, sculpt the face, and reduce puffiness.
Facial lymphatic drainage is one of the most popular types of massage today. It is performed using softer, slower movements and directing pressure towards the lymph nodes to naturally eliminate toxins, fluids and waste. The movements are directed downward towards the lymph nodes deep in the neck.
You can choose the technique that is most appropriate for you, paying attention to applying it in the correct way and using the appropriate tool, and remember that excessive pressure may make the condition worse.
Facial Massage Tools
The tool used for massage varies depending on the goal of the massage. There are tools designated for tightening the skin, sculpting the face, and tools designated for reducing puffiness. We will list for you the most common of these tools:
- Clean hands: You can start by trying a facial massage using your hands and the serum or oil appropriate for your skin type. If you have oily, acne-prone skin, you can choose light oils that do not clog pores, such as jojoba oil.
- Face rollers: This type of device applies gentle, even pressure to the skin, and comes in a variety of sizes and materials including metal, wood, glass, and crystal.
- Jade rollers: These are soft cylindrical stones that are passed over the face to stimulate blood flow and reduce puffiness.
- Facial cups: These are small suction cups that are placed on the face to create a vacuum effect that lifts and evens the skin tone.
- Facial brushes: These are soft brushes with bristles used to gently exfoliate and massage the skin.
- Heated massagers: These tools can be heated to help soothe pain and increase feelings of relaxation.
- Chilled massagers: This type of tool contains a liquid that keeps the tool cool, or you must put it in the refrigerator before using it. It helps relieve puffiness and gives a tightened appearance to the skin, but for a temporary period. It is considered a safe alternative to placing ice cubes directly on the skin.
- Vibrating massagers: This type vibrates at different intensities, but its benefit has not yet been proven.
Now that you have chosen the appropriate tool, we will explain to you the steps to perform a facial massage in the correct way.
Facial Massage Steps
You can perform a facial massage in simple steps at home by following the following steps:
- Make sure to remove makeup before starting the massage session.
- Wash your face with the appropriate cleanser and lukewarm water, and dry it gently using a cotton towel.
- Apply the massage oil suitable for your skin type. Use coconut oil or argan oil for dry skin, and almond oil or jojoba oil for normal skin. As for oily skin, you can use jojoba oil or your favorite moisturizer.
- Rub in circular motions in the temple area (both sides of the face above the ears).
- Use your palms and fingertips to massage both sides of your face, starting at your chin and working toward your forehead.
- Press and slide your ring fingers over the brow bone from the inner corner to the outer corner. Then do the same movement gently under your eyes.
- Gently pinch your eyebrows using your thumb and first finger, starting from the outer corners of your eyebrows to the inner corner.
- Press your fingers into the middle of your eyebrows and move them toward your hairline, then move your fingers toward your temples.
- Press firmly on the space between your eyebrows for a few seconds and then keep the pressure while making clockwise and counterclockwise movements.
- Use your index and middle fingers to apply pressure under your cheekbones, starting in the middle of your face and moving toward your temples.
- Use your knuckles to press down on your face for a stronger effect, starting from your nose across your cheeks to your ears.
- Use your thumb and first two fingers to apply pressure to the center of your chin, pinching the skin as you move toward your ears.
- Squeeze your jaw as you move your fingers from the outside of your jaw toward your chin.
- Use circular motions to massage the area under the earlobe.
- Use the outside of your pinky finger to apply pressure to your neck, starting from the top and working your way down.
- Use your ring finger to press firmly on your inner eyebrow, then slide toward your outer eyebrow.
- Use your fingertips to gently tap all areas of your face, then gently pinch the fleshy areas of skin.
A facial massage session lasts from 5 minutes to an hour, and each movement must be repeated 5 times or for 20 seconds, gently and with steady movements. You can choose the movements that are appropriate for you and create a special routine according to your needs.
Facial Massage Perfect Timing
There is no specific time to perform facial massage, but in general it is preferable to do it at the following times:
- In the morning: Facial massage in the morning helps remove the effects of sleep and fatigue from the skin, giving it freshness and radiance. It also helps prepare the skin to receive cosmetics and skin care products.
- In the evening: Facial massage in the evening helps relieve tension and pressure from the skin, removes traces of pollution and dirt from the pores, and helps soothe the skin and rebalance it.
- Before or after using face masks: Facial massage before using face masks helps open the pores and increase the absorption of the effective ingredients from the mask. After using face masks, it helps to maintain the desired effects of the mask and prolong its duration.
When to See Results
The answer may vary depending on the frequency, duration, and intensity of your facial massage, as well as your skin type and condition. However, there are some general guidelines:
- For immediate results: Facial massage can provide immediate relief from tension and puffiness. After one session of facial massage, the skin may appear smoother and more radiant, facial muscles may relax, and the appearance of wrinkles and sagging may be reduced.
- For long-term results: Facial massage can stimulate the production of collagen and elastin. Which can improve skin firmness and freshness over time. Facial massage can also help prevent or reduce signs of aging by enhancing the absorption of skin care products and detoxifying the skin. To achieve long-lasting results, facial massage should be done regularly, at least once or twice a week.
- For best results: Facial massage can be combined with other skin care practices, such as cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing, and applying masks or serums. Facial massage can also be performed using various tools and these tools can enhance the effects of facial massage by increasing blood flow, lifting and sculpting the skin, and providing gentle exfoliation.
In conclusion, performing a facial massage can be of great benefit to you, regardless of your age and skin type. It helps improve the health and beauty of the skin, reduces the effects of aging and stress, increases self-confidence and self-satisfaction, and provides an opportunity for relaxation and self-care in light of daily stress.
You can perform the facial massage yourself or seek the help of a professional expert. Different tools can also be used to enhance the effect of the massage. It is important to choose the appropriate products for the type and condition of the skin and follow simple steps to ensure that the massage is applied correctly and safely.
Do not hesitate to try facial massage and enjoy its many benefits. You will notice the difference in your appearance and feeling after several sessions. Facial massage is a wonderful treatment for the skin and soul!
Frequently Asked Questions about Facial Massage
Can I do facial massage every day?
Yes. You can do a facial massage every day before applying your skin care products.
Does facial massage relieve double chin?
Yes. It can reduce the appearance of a double chin, provided you commit to doing it for several weeks, and you will notice the difference.
What is the effect of facial massage on collagen production?
Facial massage increases blood circulation to the skin and thus stimulates collagen production, giving the skin a more elastic and youthful appearance.