You must have noticed in the recent period how the interest of cosmetic experts in collagen as the fountain of youth has increased. And because it has proven to be very effective in preserving the youth of the skin, the demand for collagen products has increased in terms of supplements and injections. But did you know that your body automatically produces 75% of its need for this substance. Then, why are collagen supplements produced? And why is it so popular?
In this article, we will learn about the special benefits of collagen for your skin and body, and we will discuss four of them together. So, stay with us.
In this Article
What is Collagen
Collagen is the protein that makes up the structure of your cells and tissues. It is found in connective tissues, tendons, bones and cartilage. It plays an important role in your tissue repair and immune response. And with age, the fibroblasts responsible for collagen production weaken, its production slows down and your body begins to lose the elastin protein. Here you are standing in front of the mirror to notice that the signs of aging began to appear!
New York dermatologist Whitney Bowe describes collagen as “the glue that holds the body together”. It makes up about 75% of the dry weight of your skin. Which keeps your skin plump and prevents the appearance of lines or cracks. The dermatologist also says: ”As we get older, our body breaks down collagen faster. We start losing 1% of the collagen we use each year in our mid-twenties. We lose up to 30% of it during the first years of menopause”.
She also says that according to a 2014 study of 69 women between the ages of 35 and 55, those who took 2.5-5 grams of collagen daily for 8 weeks showed a significant improvement in skin elasticity compared to those who did not take it. Another study showed that women who took 1 gram per day of a chicken-derived collagen supplement for 12 weeks reduced dehydration by 75%, decreased visible wrinkles by 12%, and significantly improved skin blood flow.
Also read: Exercises to Increase Back Flexibility
The Importance of Collagen
- Now let’s answer the question we asked at the beginning of the article: Why are collagen supplements produced even though our body produces good amounts of it?
As you get older, your body’s production of collagen gradually decreases. Thus, the signs of aging begin to appear such as wrinkles, dry and sagging skin. The amount of collagen in the skeleton also decreases, and thus the bones begin to become weak and brittle.
- Can you maintain collagen production in your body to preserve your youth?
Unfortunately, you can’t. But there are some unhealthy dietary and lifestyle factors that you should be aware of as they accelerate the loss of collagen from your body and thus age you.
You can watch the attached video, in which our coach Sara Popfit spoke about everything related to the benefits of collagen:
Factors Affecting Collagen
- Smoking and alcohol are the main causes of a large number of serious health problems. They are two very negative factors because both of them degrade collagen and your skin loses its elasticity, so you start to see wrinkles and cracks.
- Your constant exposure to the sun without protection leads to the breakdown of collagen in the skin.
- Eating a diet high in sugars and processed foods will damage the collagen in your body faster.
Benefits of collagen
1. Improve skin health: As mentioned at the beginning, collagen gives the skin elasticity and hydration. Thanks to its containment of hydroxylamine acid, which works on repairing damaged tissues and cells, and gives your skin smoothness and freshness, Because it fills fine lines and removes the effects of pimples and scars.
And your use of collagen supplements (after consulting a doctor) helps you stimulate your body to produce collagen automatically and by itself, and promotes the production of other proteins that help build your skin, including elastin.
2. Strengthen your hair and nails: Most of us suffer from nail and hair problems. Therefore, after you start taking collagen and its supplements, watch your nails, because it must prevent them from breaking, and as for your hair, you will notice that it has become stronger and grows faster.
3. It strengthens your bones: Collagen is an essential component of your bones, and as you age, its percentage decreases, so you may suffer from osteoporosis and increased risk of fractures. Eating collagen supplements or foods rich in it helps you to strengthen your bones and prevent the risk of their fragility.
4. The health of your heart and arteries: Without collagen, your arteries lose their elasticity, and you are at risk of sclerosis and stenosis. And when the situation worsens, it may lead to a heart attack because it is collagen that secures the structure and strength of the arteries.
Of course and simply, You can include foods rich in collagen in your diet, and thus get its benefits permanently and healthy, such as salmon, tuna, flaxseeds, and raw nuts that promote collagen production in your body and maintain its survival in the skin. As well as vitamins C and E, which are essential sources for collagen production.
Your inner health is reflected in your outer appearance, specifically your face, so do not neglect it and always stay informed of the benefits of collagen for the skin. We hope you liked the article. Stay safe.
Frequently Asked Questions about Benefits of Collagen
How much collagen does the body need daily?
Research has shown that adults can safely take between 2.5 to 15 grams of collagen per day. Read the supplement label to find out how much collagen it contains. Many people take 1-2 tablespoons of collagen powder daily.
Is collagen fattening?
No, collagen does not make you gain weight. And aside from helping you build muscle, there is nothing in a collagen supplement that will cause you to gain weight.
When do the results of drinking collagen appear?
Visible results for skin, hair and nails in 4 weeks. And with regular daily supplementation, best results are achieved from 12 weeks
You may like: