Have you ever known that you can get fresher, more radiant skin using a small pen-like device? This device is called the “Dermapen,” which is considered one of the latest, most effective, and innovative ways to treat skin problems nowadays. Many women tend to book appointments for dermapen sessions with the advent of winter, with the aim of getting rid of summer pigmentation and restoring the luster and vitality of the skin. In our article, we will explain to you the reason behind this.
The Dermapen device uses Microneedling technology, which works to destroy the surface layer of the skin and stimulate the process of self-healing and collagen production. Therefore, they call it collagen-stimulating treatment, thus improving the skin’s texture and elasticity.
In this article, we will explain to you how it works, what its benefits and drawbacks are, and how you can use it safely and effectively. In the end, you can find out if it is suitable for you and worth trying. So follow along with us.
In this Article
What is Dermapen?
Dermapen, or microneedling, is considered a cosmetic procedure, but it can sometimes be applied to treat medical conditions. This procedure can help treat and reduce the appearance of some skin problems, such as acne scars, stretch marks, and wrinkles.
Dermapen sessions are also less expensive than laser treatment, which can cost four times the price. It is safer for those with dark skin because it does not use heat as laser does, thus avoiding the problems of skin pigmentation and burns. You can consult your doctor about the procedure best suited to your skin.
How the Dermapen Works
As we mentioned previously, the Dermapen device works using microneedling technology, as it pricks the skin with sterile fine needles to make holes in the surface layer of the skin, and these wounds stimulate the skin healing process and thus stimulate the production of collagen and elastin. These are the proteins responsible for the youth, freshness and elasticity of the skin, so they call it a collagen-stimulating treatment.
This technique can be performed on any part of your body, such as the face, neck, back, and legs, and anywhere you notice signs of aging or pigmentation. Depending on the area and condition, your doctor determines the number of sessions needed to obtain the results that satisfy you.
Many doctors combine the Dermapen procedure with topical serums and platelet-rich plasma PRP) in order to obtain better results depending on the needs of your skin. You can discuss this with your doctor.
The Best Time for Dermapen
Dermapen sessions are widespread during the winter, but do you know why? This is because it is important to avoid exposure to sunlight after this procedure, so doctors advise waiting until the winter to begin the sessions.
Dermapen also erases the effects of summer, helping to lighten the pigmentation that appears due to your exposure to direct sunlight during the summer. It also helps restore the freshness and vitality to the skin that it lost during the summer. Therefore, it is important to apply sunscreen before each exposure and keep renewing it every two hours to avoid any pigmentation and dullness of the skin.
You can choose the right sunscreen for your skin after reading the following article: Get to Know the Sunscreen
Now we will mention to you the most important benefits of this procedure, and then you can know whether you need it or not.
Dermapen Benefits for the Skin
This technique has gained great popularity recently due to its many benefits. It works to rejuvenate the skin and restore its freshness with the least amount of pain and discomfort, with a short time difference between sessions, and it can be adjusted according to your needs. It is also the ideal choice for those with dark skin and the procedure is the least expensive.
Benefits of Dermapen include the following:
- Reducing the appearance of scars, including acne scars.
- Reducing large pores and reducing their appearance.
- Reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Lighten dark spots and lighten skin pigmentation.
- Unification of skin color.
- Improving skin elasticity due to stimulating the production of collagen and elastin.
- Reducing the appearance of stretch marks.
- Promoting hair growth in patients with alopecia.
After you have learned about the most important benefits that this technique offers you, you must know the potential harms of this procedure, and what are the correct methods of using it to ensure that you get the best results.
Dermapen Side Effects
Like all cosmetic procedures, this procedure can cause some side effects, some of which are normal and occur after the procedure for a temporary period and then disappear, and others may pose a risk, and then you should see your doctor to address the problem.
Here are the most common side effects that may appear after the procedure:
- Slight redness of the skin.
- Bruising and swelling.
- Skin peeling and dryness.
But you should see a doctor if:
- Bleeding for more than 24 hours.
- Skin ulceration.
- Swelling for more than a week.
But can anyone do this procedure? Certainly not, and in the following paragraph we will enumerate for you the contraindications for use.
Before you perform any new procedure for your skin, you must first make sure whether it is the appropriate solution for your condition and whether you have any problems that prevent you from trying this procedure. Now, through our paragraph, you will know whether you can try Dermapen or not.
You should discuss it with your doctor before the procedure if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have acne or take medications to treat it.
- You suffer from blood disorders or are taking anticoagulants.
- You have cancer and are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation.
- You have sensitive skin and constantly suffer from rashes and skin ulcers.
- Your skin has moles, freckles, skin tags, or other tumors that change in shape or size or bleed.
- You suffer from skin diseases such as eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
You should always pay attention to any change that occurs in your skin. Skin problems are many, but did you know that they can tell you about your health condition? Read this article to learn more: What Do Skin Problems Tell us about our Health?
What Happens during a Dermapen Session?
The dermatologist or cosmetician responsible for performing the session will examine your skin and ask about your medical history and your goal for doing the session. All of these questions are important so that he can evaluate your health condition and find out if there is any reason preventing you from having it done. He may take pictures of your skin before the procedure so that you can compare and see the results.
In some cases, the doctor may ask you to start using vitamin A and vitamin C for a month and stop them 3 days before the dermapen session in order to prepare the skin to produce collagen. You can benefit from this article about one of the most famous vitamin A derivatives: What is Retinol | The 8 Most Important Benefits
Now we will explain to you the steps to prepare the skin before the session and how to take care of it after the session. So follow along with us.
Preparing the skin before the session
We will explain to you how to prepare the skin before the session and what are the steps of the procedure in order, which are:
- The doctor or specialist cleans the skin well, then applies the anesthetic gel or ointment (for example, lidocaine gel) to the desired area, and waits 30 to 45 minutes for the anesthetic to begin working.
- He then begins to pass the Dermapen device over your skin slowly and gently. Here, the fine needles prick the skin, and the depth of the prick can be controlled according to your condition, ranging from 0.5 to 2 mm.
- You may feel a slight tingling or uncomfortable feeling when approaching areas close to the bone, such as the cheekbone, and in the case of deep tingling, slight bleeding may occur.
- The specialist may apply treatment serums during the session to increase absorption and improve results.
- The session takes from 15 minutes to hours depending on the size of the area that needs treatment.
What happens to the skin after the session?
You can return home immediately after completing the procedure. Your skin may remain red and swollen for a period of up to 5 days. Here, passing ice on the skin can help calm the puffiness and swelling, but be careful not to apply it directly to the skin. Rather, you should put the ice in a cotton towel and pass it over the skin. area gently.
Your skin may take days or weeks to heal, and this varies from one person to another. Therefore, before performing this procedure, you should discuss these matters with your doctor. You may need more than one session until you see the desired results, but they are results worth waiting for.
The Correct Care Routine after a Dermapen Session
The wounds will be open after the Dermapen session, so you should follow the instructions given by your doctor to avoid any problems that prevent you from seeing the desired results. During the first week of recovery, you should avoid the following:
- Wash your face with cleansers or soap 48 hours before the procedure.
- Direct exposure to sunlight. If it is necessary to go out and be exposed, you must apply sunscreen and follow protection methods, such as wearing hats and protective clothing.
- Use skin care products that have an exfoliating and irritating effect, such as alpha hydroxy acids and retinol.
- Apply makeup, especially in the first week after the session, to avoid any contamination that may cause inflammation of the area.
- Sweating by avoiding strenuous exercises.
- Swim in salty sea water or swimming pools to avoid contamination and any inflammation or irritation in the area.
You can help your skin heal faster and get results that satisfy you by following the following tips:
- Use sunscreen before exposure to sunlight and renew it every two hours.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking sufficient amounts of water throughout the day.
- Moisturize your skin constantly using creams suitable for your skin and after consulting a doctor.
- Follow a healthy diet rich in antioxidants and collagen to increase the body’s immunity and thus speed up recovery. You can benefit from the following article: Collagen Rich Foods that Help You Produce It Naturally
- Apply serums that contain antioxidants, such as vitamin C serum. You can consult your doctor to choose the appropriate serum for your skin.
- Use products that contain collagen-stimulating peptides.
As long as you follow the instructions your doctor tells you, you will get the best results that satisfy you.
Dermapen or Microdermabrasion
Microdermabrasion is a procedure that targets the surface layer of the skin. The procedure uses a special applicator with an abrasive surface to gently exfoliate the thick outer layer of skin. It can help improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin, fine wrinkles, acne, and other conditions.
Thus, it gives quick results such as freshness, but they are temporary, unlike the Dermapen procedure, which goes deep into the skin and works to renew cells and thus will give long-term results. You can choose the best procedure according to the condition of your skin and the extent of the damage.
Dermapen or the Derma roller
In an attempt to save money, some women resort to purchasing a home derma roller. Unlike the Dermapen, it does not make deep holes in the skin and therefore you do not get the same results. At best, you may get brighter skin for a temporary period, but without treating any skin problems. skin.
While the Dermapen procedure is more professional and is performed in accredited medical clinics. So if you are interested in obtaining more effective and long-lasting results, the Dermapen procedure is the ideal choice for you.
Dermapen and Hair Loss Treatment
The Dermapen procedure helps in treating the problem of hair loss, but after knowing the causes of hair loss, whether they are hormonal, immunological, or a lack of some nutrients, here you have to do the necessary tests prescribed by the doctor before performing any procedure.
Studies have shown that the Dermapen procedure helps in treating androgenic alopecia (in males and females) and some cases of alopecia areata, while it does not treat hair loss due to iron deficiency. Rather, you must take iron supplements and repair the deficiency until the hair grows again.
Sharing the Dermapen procedure with Minoxidil helps in obtaining faster results. They both work to increase blood flow in the affected area. Minoxidil stimulates hair growth and the Dermapen stimulates the skin to produce collagen.
Some doctors combine the Dermapen with platelet-rich plasma (PRP), as it helps in obtaining good and quick results in treating this problem.
In the end, we advise you not to perform any technique that you hear about from those around you before knowing its benefits as well as its side effects. Experiences differ from one person to another, and you cannot make a decision based on your friend’s opinion, as this is your skin and you are responsible for it.
Consult a doctor or expert in this field to discuss the best procedure for your skin type and health condition, and read the information from reliable sources that will be provided to you after extensive research and reading, as we do in our magazine.
When you adopt this procedure, follow the instructions that we explained to you in detail in our article, in addition to the instructions that the doctor will give you. Your obtaining the best results depends on the extent of your awareness and following the advice.
You can share with us your experience with the Dermapen in the comments. From me and from Frashti Magazine, we wish you continued health and radiance.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dermapen
When do I wash my face after Dermapen?
You can wash your face with lukewarm water only during the first 48 hours, and on the third day you can use a cleanser that is gentle on the skin and free of exfoliating and irritating substances.
Does Dermapen cause skin darkening?
No, if you follow the instructions given by your physician. However, if you do not follow the instructions and are exposed to sunlight for a long time, burns and darkening of the skin may occur.
When do Dermapen results appear?
You can notice the freshness of the skin several days after the first session, but the results require 3 to 6 sessions, with a difference of 2 to 4 weeks, depending on the condition of the skin and the size of the problem you want to treat, and this is what is determined by the treating physician.
How long do Dermapen results last?
The results generally last from 3 to 5 months if you adhere to the session dates and the recommended instructions.