You stay up late and do not have a set hour to sleep, spend a day at the beach and enjoy the sun, feel sleepy and fall into a deep sleep without applying eye cream or cleaning makeup around your eyes. This fun lifestyle may have a price that appears on your skin and face, most notably the dark circles under the eyes.
Dark circles under the eye is a problem that has become a concern for many women and men as well. Also, it is becoming more common due to the prevailing lifestyle that depends on staying up late at night, and the frequent use of screens and phones, which exacerbates the problem.
It also makes the face look older and gives the impression of pallor and fatigue. Women generally seek to hide it with concealer, but it is not considered a final solution. To eliminate this problem, you must first determine the cause of the appearance of circles around the eye and treat it in the right way. Follow us in this article to learn more about dark circles under the eyes and how to treat them.
In this Article
What are Dark Circles?
The skin around the eyes is the most sensitive and soft area of the face. The blood vessels appear in it clearly, and with age and the lack of collagen production, blood vessels begin to appear. Also, the constant exposure to sunlight increases the breakdown of collagen, which makes the matter worse. The color of the skin may become blue or purple and may turn brown or black depending on the color of the skin. There are many reasons that lead to the appearance of dark circles, such as rubbing eyes constantly, not removing make-up well before going to sleep, staying up late, and not getting enough sleep. Some types of allergies may also lead to the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
Dark Circles Causes
This problem is not limited to a specific age, it may occur at any age. It has several reasons, including:
The reason for the appearance of circles may be genetic, as some people may inherit this problem from their parents. And it cannot be completely eliminated if the cause is genetic, but it can be reduced and limited with self-care and a healthy diet.
- Sleeplessness and lack of sleep
Lack of sleep and wrong sleep patterns lead to dark circles under the eyes. So regulating sleep and getting enough sleep is the first treatment for dark circles.
- Wrong diet
The lack of adequate nutrients such as vegetables and fruits, and the frequent intake of prepared and canned foods lead to a change in the color of the skin, due to the lack of nutrients reaching the skin, which causes the appearance of dark circles.
- Lack of drinking water
Water is an important vital fluid for all parts of the body. Drinking enough water increases the vitality of the skin, and contributes to preventing the secretion of toxins. Keep drinking enough water, and dark circles will begin to disappear.
- using computer frequently
Spending long hours in front of a computer or phone screen leads to eye strain and the appearance of dark circles.
Some allergic reactions lead to dry eyes, and the histamines secreted by the body when allergic lead to a clear dilation of blood vessels on the skin, which leads to darkening of the skin around the eye.
Smoking leads to a lack of access to oxygen to the skin, which leads to paleness of the face and the appearance of circles around the eyes.
- Constant exposure to sunlight
Long exposure to sunlight increases the skin’s secretion of melanin, which leads to increased pigmentation of the area around the eyes, which becomes dark.
Not moisturizing the skin well, leads to pale skin. The eyes look sunken, which makes the area around the eyes look darker.
There are also several health reasons for dark circles, such as:
- Eye infections or sensitivity
- Iron deficiency (anemia)
- Thyroid disorders
- Pulling fat under the eyes
- Swollen eyes
- Fluid imbalance in the lower eyelids
Dark Circles Natural Treatment
The skin around the eye is characterized by its softness and tenderness, which makes it more sensitive. The best treatment for it is physical therapy, because of the damage that chemical treatments may cause.
There are many natural remedies available at your home that help you get rid of dark circles without side effects
Cold Tea Bags
It is better to use green tea bags. The caffeine contained in it helps to contract blood vessels instead of dilating them, which gives the skin around the eyes vitality and freshness. It is better to soak the tea bags in water. Then put them in the refrigerator. After that you can put them on your eyes for ten minutes on a daily basis for better results.
Potato Slices and Cucumber
Vitamins and antioxidants in potatoes and cucumber help prevent infections and nourish the skin around the eyes, which prevents the formation of circles around the eyes. As cucumber contains biologically active compounds and vitamins that fight dark circles.
You can put potato or cucumber slices on your eyes, relax and then remove them after 15 minutes. Or you can wipe the skin around your eyes with cucumber or potato slices for five minutes.
You can also extract potato or cucumber juice and wipe the skin around the eyes with a cotton ball soaked in juice for three minutes. Make sure to wipe the entire area around the eyes, then wash it with cold water.
Cold milk is a natural remedy for skin health. It helps lighten skin tone. It contains lactic acid, which evens out skin tone. It also contains potassium, which moisturizes the skin wonderfully.
A natural whitening agent. It contains lycopene and beta-carotene, which are among the most powerful antioxidants that protect the skin around the eye and maintain its health and prevent its pigmentation. Wipe a spoonful of tomato juice around your eyes with a small piece of cotton. Leave it for ten minutes. Then wash it with cold water.
An effective moisturizer that maintains healthy skin, prevents dryness, and is a great skin nutrient that prevents premature aging. Aloe vera gel contains aleucine, a compound that helps prevent pigmentation. Gently massage the skin around your eyes with aloe vera gel for seven minutes. It may cause sensitivity to some skin types, so it should be used with caution.
You can mix aloe vera gel with small pieces of cucumber and make an eye mask. Apply it on a daily basis to the affected area for 15 minutes.
A treatment for many skin problems. It maintains the health of the skin and prevents the appearance of dark circles. You can gently massage the skin around the eyes with a piece of cotton soaked in rose water. Leave it for ten minutes. Then wash it with cold water. Repeat the process daily to get the best results.
Rich in vitamin E, which restores the natural color of the skin. Also it is a great moisturizer for the skin. It contains emollients that help reduce the appearance of blood vessels under the skin. You can wipe the skin around your eyes with almond oil and leave it overnight. For best results, repeat the massage every night.
Licorice extract contains glabridin, which fights pigmentation, which helps prevent the formation of dark circles. Take a few drops of licorice extract and mix it with a vitamin K capsule to get a smooth paste. Apply it to the area around your eyes for ten minutes. Then wash it gently. It can be used three times a week.
It contains active compounds such as riboflavin and carotenoids, which enhance anti-pigmentation activity and prevent the formation of dark circles.
A wonderful moisturizer for the skin. It contains polyphenols that preserve the color of the skin and help in the treatment of dark circles. Wipe the area affected by honey and leave it around your eyes for ten minutes. Then wash it gently.
It restores the natural color of the skin and maintains its luster. It contains vitamins A and C. It is a great supplement for eye care. Add glycerin with orange juice to make a wonderful home mask. It can be applied daily for ten minutes. Then washed well with water.
Great for sensitive skin. It helps reduce pigmentation and fight dark circles. It also restores the skin’s natural color, and it contains tarmeric, a natural anti-inflammatory. Read about coconut oil
A powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It can be mixed with pineapple juice to obtain a cohesive paste. Apply it around your eyes for ten minutes. Then gently wash your skin with warm water.
Dark Circles Medical Treatment
If you want a quick treatment for the circles around the eyes, there are many medical treatments. Consult your doctor to find out which treatments are most appropriate for your condition. Medical treatment options include the following:
- Whitening creams: Using topical creams containing vitamin C and whitening agents such as hydroquinone that treat dark circles around the eye.
- Laser treatment: The laser targets pigmentation around your eyes and boosts collagen formation. It also tightens the skin around the eyes.
- Chemical peel: Fights dark circles by modifying the melanin content on the surface of the skin.
- Eyelid tint Pigmented eyelid injection, liposuction, and eyelid injection with plasma rich in plasma, which repairs the skin around the eyes, promotes collagen, and accelerates the growth of blood vessels. But these procedures may lead to complications, such as infections of the area around the surgery and thus pigmentation.
Preventing Dark Circles Tips
- Self-care: The circles around your eyes indicate that you are not taking good care of yourself. A self-care routine includes adequate sleep, avoiding alcohol and smoking, staying away from stress and tension, and drinking well water.
- Stop exposing yourself to the sun for a long time. Make sure to apply sunscreen for the area around the eyes, and wear sunglasses.
- Avoid strong cosmetics. Make sure to clean your eyes well from traces of makeup before going to sleep.
- If your dark circles are due to allergies, make sure to treat it and take an antihistamine on a daily basis under the supervision of a physician.
- Gently massage your eyes on a daily basis. Lift under the skin under the eyes to stimulate blood circulation, and enhance blood flow.
- Eat dark chocolate: Dark chocolate contains vanillins that contribute to slowing down aging and boosting collagen. Enjoy eating it to keep your skin young.
- Reduce salt intake because it makes the body loses a lot of fluids, which leads to dehydration and the formation of dark circles. The sodium in salt helps in the formation of dark circles in case you don’t drink enough water.
- Reducing coffee also because it makes the body loses a high percentage of fluids.
- Eating foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids helps blood flow more actively throughout the body and thus reduces the appearance of dark circles. Eating healthy foods boosts collagen in the body, maintains healthy skin, and fights pigmentation, which prevents the formation of dark circles.
- Get enough sleep:One of the most important factors that lead to the formation of circles around the eye is staying up late and irregular sleep. Your first step to treating these circles is to get enough hours of sleep on a regular basis. Sleep helps your body to repair and renew cells, and this is reflected in the health of your skin and complexion. Good sleep is the most important factor in fighting dark circles. Learn about the benefits of sleep for the skin.
- Relaxation exercises: stress and tension cause your face to turn pale, dark circles form around your eyes, and it is difficult to maintain calm permanently. So introducing relaxation exercises into your daily routine is sufficient to maintain your inner calm, which is reflected in the health of your skin.
- Raise the pillow: The way we sleep affects the areas around the eyes. Raising pillows under the head prevents the accumulation of fluids under the eyes.
- Use eye gel patches: These patches are used in the event of halos or puffiness. And they are also used after the eyes are exposed to stress and fatigue. They are masks filled with collagen to lighten and tighten the skin, antioxidants, and some vitamins. These patches are useful in reducing puffiness under the eyes and moisturizing them deeply.
- Using eye cream and eye serum: One of the most important steps is to adopt a suitable product to care for under the eyes area. These creams work to combat aging and dark circles and promote collagen production in the skin. As for the serum, it is nourishing and moisturizing, works to prevent sagging under the eyes, stimulates blood circulation, and also stimulates collagen production.
- Deep cleansing of eyes from make-up: One of the most important steps that you must take to maintain the health and freshness of the lower eyes. Remove make-up from the eyes and under them by using a make-up remover that is gentle on the skin, and nourishes it. The eyes are cleaned before going to sleep, and then cream is applied around the eyes.
- Massage the area around the eyes with coconut oil: Coconut oil helps moisturize the skin and fight wrinkles. Regular massage contributes to stimulating blood circulation under the eyes and stimulating collagen. Use the index finger to make circular movements around the eyes. Adopt this massage on a weekly basis.
- Maintaining skin hydration, which makes it always glowing and maintains its freshness.
- Apply the rule of 20,20,20: The goal of this exercise is to reduce eye strain while working. After every 20 minutes of working and looking at the screen, look at something 20 feet away. Keep looking for 20 minutes. Doing this relaxes the eyes.
When Do We Go to the Doctor to Treat Dark Circles?
If you change your lifestyle and maintain healthy habits that protect your skin from dark circles, and yet the circles remain around your eyes, and the circles are accompanied by swelling under your eyes, or under one eye, you should consult a doctor.
Dark circles often occur due to a stressful lifestyle, such as staying up late and irregular sleep, as well as a bad diet, lack of exercise, and smoking. Therefore, adequate sleep and proper nutrition, while adhering to a skincare routine, will restore health to your skin and fade dark circles.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dark Circles
Does sleep help fight dark circles?
Irregular sleep is a major cause of dark circles. So the first step in treating dark circles is to get enough and regular sleep.
Do hormonal changes relate to dark circles?
Hormonal changes can be a cause of dark circles. When the body is stressed, it secretes cortisol (the stress hormone), which causes insomnia and sleep disturbances, which leads to the appearance of dark circles.
What foods help in dark circles treatment?
Some vegetables may help treat dark circles, such as leafy greens and broccoli, as they are rich in vitamin K, which helps in stimulating blood circulation.
Does cold compress treat dark circles?
A cold compress helps narrow dilated blood vessels, reduces swelling, which reduces puffiness and helps lighten dark circles around the eyes.
Why do children get dark circles?
The child is exposed to dark circles like adults, and this may be due to stress, or irregular sleep, as well as due to the flu or a cold,
You may also like: