Everyone feels embarrassed when eating food that causes bad breath, such as onions or garlic, or dishes that depend on them in their ingredients. The solution is simple, eat mint-flavored gum or a fresh-smelling mouthwash, but this is not the problem. The real problem is bad breath, which is not caused by a specific food, but rather by other health reasons. And in fact, the one with this problem does not feel that his mouth smells bad, but those around him feel it well. So follow us to know the causes of bad breath and treatment, and to avoid going through an embarrassing situation like this.
In this Article
Bad breath is a warning message from your body, because it indicates a defect in one of its functions. Knowing the cause of bad breath is the first step in treatment.
One study that collected the results of 13 medical articles found that bad breath affects 31.8% of people, and is a very common problem.
Causes of Bad Breath
Neglecting your oral hygiene
Your neglect of oral and dental hygiene causes many problems, such as tooth decay and gingivitis, causing an unpleasant odor. This is due to the food residues in the mouth and the multiplication of bacteria, which is the most common cause of this problem. Gingivitis is also one of the most prominent causes. It is caused by the buildup of plaque on your teeth. It is a sticky layer that can be cleaned. Gingivitis has serious results, which may lead to inflammation.
The presence of food residues in the tonsils
It leads to the formation of tonsil stones, which are food stuck in your throat area that solidifies into deposits around the tonsils causing bad breath. So make sure you clean your mouth well from food residues, and use salt water gargle for sterilization.
Not producing enough saliva in your mouth is also a major factor, and some medications may cause dry mouth, as well as smoking. Therefore, try to avoid smoking because of its many harms to your health, and be aware of the side effects of medications.
it is when stomach acid leaks into the esophagus, It is a common digestive disorder that causes heartburn, often accompanied by bad breath.
Diseases of the liver and kidneys
Both your kidneys and liver work to clean your body of toxins, as they are the body’s filter. And when an imbalance occurs in their work, bad breath results. You can keep your kidneys healthy by drinking enough water.
Infections of the throat, pharynx or lungs
These infections greatly affect oral health.
Also read: Sweating Hands Causes and Treatment
Bad Breath Treatment
If you feel a bad taste in your mouth, it is most likely accompanied by an unpleasant odor. The treatment in this case is to visit the dentist to examine your mouth, teeth and gums. If there are no problems with them, other possible causes should be considered, which are determined by the doctor who specializes in the digestive system.
Prevention of Bad Breath
There are simple steps, if you commit to them, you will avoid the trouble of this problem, and they are summarized in combating the previous causes:
- Oral and dental hygiene: keep on cleaning your teeth daily to avoid any odors, pay attention to brushing your tongue using a toothbrush and using floss to avoid food residues remaining between the teeth. Also use a special rinse to keep your gums healthy.
- Keep your mouth moist by eating sugar-free gum, to stimulate saliva production.
- Watch your diet, and stay away from foods that cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Drink lot of water to keep your kidneys healty, and avoid dehydration, especially at night.
- Commit to regular check-ups of your teeth and gums by visiting your doctor every six months.
- Make sure to change your toothbrush regularly.
Home Remedies for Bad Breath
- Use parsley because it contains a high percentage of chlorophyll, which eliminates bad breath. Eat a little of it to maintain permanent freshness.
- Yogurt, which contains probiotics, is an effective substance for eliminating mouth odor. A study was conducted on people suffering from this problem, and its results showed that after six weeks of eating a daily serving of yogurt, the bad breath disappeared in 80% of the patients, because the yogurt contains beneficial bacteria that fight bad bacteria in the intestines and different parts of the body.
- Eat a serving of yogurt on a daily basis in the evening to maintain the health of your digestive system, and avoid mouth odors. Fennel and anise seeds, which give a refreshing scent to the breath because they contain essential oils. You can boil fennel and anise seeds and drink it to get a warm and soothing drink, as well as to prevent any odors.
Our problem, which we just explained to you, is very common, but its solutions are very easy. It depends primarily on your follow-up to complete oral hygiene, having a healthy lifestyle, and taking care of the health of your digestive system by eating healthy beneficial foods.
Frequently Asked Questions about Bad Breath
How do I get rid of bad breath quickly?
Eat mint gum, or use a mouthwash or toothpaste that contains mint.
What is the cause of permanent bad breath?
Not maintaining oral hygiene, digestive and oral problems, liver and kidney problems.
What are the diseases that cause bad breath?
Tonsil stones – GERD – diabetes mellitus – respiratory infections – gum and dental diseases.