Flatulence and gases are among the most common diseases around the world, and it seems that the proverb the stomach is the origin of every disease, and diet is the source of medicine” is largely true.
When my father suffered from colon distension, the doctor told him this shocking fact, and asked him to stay away from spicy foods, pickles, and food that contains different foods and flavors. This was in addition to a prescription that helped him recover. I was very happy when I read some articles that talked about the benefits of some exercise in improving the general condition of the stomach gas patient, I have archived this so that the visitors of our magazine can benefit from this aspect. If you are interested, follow me!
In this Article
We will start with a common question: What does Flatulence mean, and where do these gases collect?
Flatulence, according to the medical term, is the removal of gases from the digestive tract through the anus. This occurs when gases collect in the digestive tract, but what causes these gases to accumulate?
These gases collect in the stomach as a result of swallowing air during the process of eating or drinking, or during the process of digesting food, which leads to the release of gases such as hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and methane. It is great to have exercises to treat stomach gases.
Stomach Gas Causes
Another question that most of us have is: Is the process of releasing gases always problematic?
The release of gases from the digestive tract is a natural process that occurs about ten times a day, but a person who suffers from excessive bloating has a significantly increased rate of gas.
Causes of excess stomach gas:
- Swallowing air while smoking in large quantities, not to mention the many harms of smoking.
- Eating gum and soft drinks, although they are popular with everyone, is required in moderation.
- Eat quickly.
- Eat some foods that increase the production of gases during their digestion, such as legumes, cabbage, broccoli, raisins, and fruits rich in fructose and sorbitol, as these foods require a longer time to digest, and contain ingredients that are not completely absorbable, which leads to their fermentation by colon bacteria, releasing gases from them, which It causes gas in the stomach.
- Insufficient consumption of fluids, especially water, excess weight and fat that put pressure on the abdomen, and digestive system problems such as indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, gastritis, constipation, and intestinal cancer.
- Food allergies, food poisoning, accumulation of excess fluids in the body, life without movement, nervous tension, and unhealthy eating habits.
Also read: Nerve Strengthening Exercises
Causes of pathological stomach gas:
There are causes resulting from certain diseases. Let us learn about them together, because they require appropriate treatment. Stomach gas may be the result of certain diseases. Among the most important causes of frequent pathological gases are the following:
- Gastritis and inflammatory bowel.
- Lactose intolerance (the body’s inability to digest lactose).
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Crohn’s disease.
- Celiac disease (hypersensitivity to wheat gluten).
- Ulcerative colitis.
- Autoimmune pancreatitis.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
How to Get Rid of Stomach Gas
Abdominal bloating pain can be sharp and severe at times, to the point of similar to appendix or gallbladder pain, and sometimes heart attacks, so people search for different ways to get rid of it:
What are your favorite drinks? Your favorite drinks can help you treat stomach gas.
Below I will show you a list of the most important drinks that help you treat stomach gas. Some of them may not have a pleasant taste, but their benefits are good, in addition to exercises to treat gas bloating through exercise.
Herbs are often the first resort when it comes to “how do I clean my stomach of gases,” and this includes mint tea, anise, caraway, coriander, fennel, and turmeric, by mixing them with warm water and drinking them.
What do we do if the gases do not subside? Some advise dissolving half a teaspoon of bicarbonate (baking soda) with warm water and drinking it, but not on a full stomach, so as not to lead to stomach rupture.
You can also put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in warm water and drink it, which will help you clean the stomach and relieve bloating pain. Although there are no proven studies on the effectiveness of these drinks, they do not entail any negative or dangerous consequences if you try them.
But this should not prevent us from trying exercises to treat stomach gas.
Also read: What is the Best Time to Drink Tea?
Massage and Movement Techniques
Who among us has not seen his mother putting warm oil on her baby brother’s aching stomach, massaging his stomach in circular motions, which often gave a good result, causing the child to calm down and stop crying.
You can try lightly massaging the area that hurts you. Sometimes these movements will calm upset stomach and intestines. If this does not help, try moving around a little, such as a short walk around the house or even in the hallway.
Exercises to Get Rid of Stomach Gas
Some yoga poses can alleviate digestive disorders, and we will talk about them in detail in the following paragraphs. Continue reading, my dear, and benefit from this information, especially since cases of bloating and stomach gas are common during the month of Ramadan.
Keep Your Body Hydrated
Liquids have their own ability, as is the case with exercises to remove gases from the stomach, to relieve them. This is like drinking a diluted infusion of ginger roots or chamomile. You can also use this Persian recipe by mixing ground cumin with fennel and anise, soaking it, then drinking it.
Exercises to Treat Stomach Gas
Exercise can be an effective solution in treating and getting rid of gases. After exercise, you should feel much better, and one of the most important exercises that may help in this matter is yoga exercises, and among the most important of these exercises are:
Knees Hugged to the Chest
It is one of the most popular yoga exercises used to relieve and get rid of gas pain. You can do the exercise by:
- Lie on your back on a yoga mat.
- Slowly bring your left knee to your chest and hold your knee with both hands.
- Pull the knee towards you, hold this position for five seconds, then release your knee.
- Repeat the same steps with the right leg.
- Next, pull both legs to your chest and wrap your arms around them to pull them close to your body. This will help put pressure on your stomach to release gas.
This exercise relaxes the lower back, hips and legs:
- Start the exercise by kneeling and sitting on your heels.
- Adjust your knees so they are hip-width apart or slightly wider.
- Slowly walk your hands forward as you bend at the hips, allowing your torso to rest on your thighs.
- Lengthen the back of your neck and rest your forehead on the floor. You can keep your arms extended or place them side by side to your body with the palms facing up.
- Allow your abdomen to fall heavily downward, and gently press on this area. Hold for up to 5 minutes.
- To increase pressure on your abdomen, you can make a fist with your hands and squeeze the sides of your lower abdomen before leaning forward.
Happy Baby Pose
This position can be done by:
- Lie on a yoga mat.
- Bend the knees towards the chest.
- Place the hands between the legs.
- Grasp the big toe with both hands.
- Slowly open your legs wide and lift them up.
- Both the head and back should be firmly planted on the floor.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
One of the important movements to treat stomach gases is through exercise, in addition to the previous positions mentioned, as this position works to relieve gases by improving digestion. You can do the exercise by:
- Lie on your back.
- Bend the knees towards the chest.
- Extend the arms to the side of the body.
- Keeping the arms on the ground, move the joined knees to the right while moving the chest and head to the left.
- Return to the original position and take a deep breath.
- Move the joined knees to the left while moving the head and chest in the opposite direction to the right.
Seated Forward Bend Pose
This position can help get rid of gases quickly, and you can do it by:
- Sitting on a yoga mat.
- Spread your legs out in front of you, and your legs should be together.
- Slowly raise your hands, the arms should be at their length next to the head.
- Bend down slowly, until your fingertips touch.
- Continue in this position for three minutes.
The well-known Pharaonic statue, the Sphinx, sits on its hands and feet, resting its stomach on the ground.
You can do this position by:
- Lie on your stomach on a yoga mat.
- Place your hands at your side.
- Lean on your hands.
- Lift your upper body, keeping your legs and torso in a stable position.
- Repeat the exercise 5 times.
Also read: Exercises to Increase Back Flexibility
Massage the Abdomen to Get Rid of Gas
There is more than one way to get rid of gases through massage. The method of massaging the abdomen to get rid of gases lies in the following steps:
- Sleep on your back with your knees bent and your feet firmly on the ground.
- Start the massage near the pelvic bone on the right side by applying light pressure and moving the hands in a circular motion until the hands reach the rib cage.
- Move the hands to the left side, and perform the same massage movements down to the pelvic bone.
- Continue the movement until you reach the navel.
- Repeat the previous steps as needed.
As for the other massage method, it requires greater pressure, and is represented by the abdominal massage method to get rid of gases as follows:
- Sleep on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Start the massage below the rib cage on the left side, going down to the pelvic bone, applying pressure using your knuckles or fingertips.
- Move the hands to the right side under the rib cage and apply pressure using the knuckles or fingertips up to the pelvic bone
- Move to the navel from the right side and continue applying pressure from the navel up toward the rib cage.
- Continue the massage starting from the left side, below the rib cage to the pelvic bone.
- Repeat the previous steps 10 to 15 times.
Is Abdominal Massage to Get Rid of Gases Safe and Effective?
After knowing the method of massaging the abdomen to get rid of gases, we must know how safe and effective it is, as the method of massaging the abdomen to get rid of gases is a safe method provided that it is done in the correct way.
Although abdominal massage is not considered the best way to get rid of gas, it may help get rid of gas by stimulating bowel movement.
Abdominal massage can relieve gas symptoms such as pain and bloating by reducing the time it takes for food to exit the colon.
Gas and flatulence Prevention
There are cases in which abdominal gas can be prevented and stopes by changing eating and drinking habits and patterns. In other cases, abdominal gas is a symptom that indicates the presence of a disease that requires treatment.
Here we will mention a list of the most important foods that increase gas in the abdomen, and the following are examples of foods that cause the formation of gas in larger quantities:
- Vegetables, such as: artichokes, helium, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, peas, radishes, and uncooked potatoes.
- Beans and other types of legumes.
- Fruits, such as: apricots, bananas, cantaloupes, peaches, pears, and raisins.
- Wheat and wheat bran.
- Soft drinks, fruit juice, and red wine.
- Fatty foods and fried foods.
- Sugar and its substitutes.
- Milk and its products, especially for people who are sensitive to lactose, which is the main sugar in milk.
- Packaged foods that contain lactose, such as: bread, cereals, and salad dressings.
- Gases that form after eating meat or eggs generally emit unpleasant odors, while gases that form after eating fruits and vegetables, on the other hand, generally do not emit unpleasant odors.
After learning some exercises to treat stomach gas, it is recommended to follow some nutritional guidelines, as well as habits related to the way you eat and drink, to avoid those annoying pains that you may experience when you suffer from gas bloating, with my wishes for your continued good health.
Frequently Asked Questions about Stomach Gas
Is frequent passing of gas beneficial?
Excreting gas is a natural process, but its increased occurrence may indicate serious problems and diseases in the digestive system, such as a lack of enzymes, for example, as abdominal bloating indicates a deficiency of some components in the digestive process, and thus the presence of more food residues inside the digestive tract.
Does abdominal massage remove gas?
Although abdominal massage is not considered the best way to get rid of gas, it may help get rid of gas by stimulating bowel movement, and abdominal massage can alleviate the symptoms of gas by reducing the time it takes for food to exit the colon.
Does passing wind increase weight?
This matter is completely untrue and that the release of gases has no relation to weight or the burning of calories. His speech indicated that a person can release gases up to 20 times a day. If the hadith is true that each time you burn 65 calories, this means that the person may He loses 1,340 calories a day, which doesn’t make sense.
You may also like: